The ADDY's are back in force this year after listening to an obvious murmur from the community that the event had grown stale in years past. In an attempt to provide a little more substance and less self-pleasuring, the board has come up with a week chock-full of free events and discussions surrounding the awards ceremony taking place this Thursday.
David Johnson, President of Coolfire Media, Board Member of the Ad Club & Master Party Thrower had this to say:
"[This year] what we created is pretty cool, pretty different and celebrates the work that St. Louis based creatives are producing. We said, let's not just have the ADDYs but take the week to communicate, educate, and celebrate. We have created a series of free panels to attend. We have created evening events (some are free to attend), Directors luncheons, pre-ADDY happy hours and best of all a hangover brunch the day after the ADDYs."
:: Event Schedule ::
Tuesday, February 19th, 2013
• 8:30am - 9:30am - PANEL 1 - “Agency Profile - Look Under the Hood” Sponsored by The Creative Group
• 10:00am - 11:00am - PANEL 2 - “Women in Creative Panel”
• 1:00pm - 2:00pm - PANEL 3 - “The Art of Account Services”
• 2:30pm - 3:30pm - PANEL 4 - “Experiential Marketing Panel”
• 7:00pm - Happy Hour sponsored by RUKUS
Wednesday, February 20th, 2013
• 8:30am - 9:30am - PANEL 5 “Mobile/Digital Panel” sponsored Pointroll
• 10:00am - 11:00am - PANEL 6 - “Creative Hybrids” sponsored by St. Louis Community College
• 1:00pm - 2:00pm - PANEL 7 - “Content is King”
• 2:30pm - 3:30pm - PANEL 8 - “Genius of an Idea Panel” sponsored by Geile Leon
• 7:00pm - Micro-Brewery Pub Crawl
Thursday, February 21st, 2013
• 12:00pm - Director Luncheon
• 5:00pm - 7:00pm - HAPPY HOUR / PRE-ADDYs sponsored by Coolfire Media
• 7:00pm - 11:00pm - ADDYs
Friday, February 22nd, 2013
• The Hangover Breakfast - Location - 90 Degrees West sponsored by Post Cereals
"All of the panels are FREE to attend. The Happy Hour on Tuesday is FREE to attend. The hangover brunch is free to attend. The micro-brew pub crawl and directors luncheon will cost $5. The ADDYS obviously have a cost to entry. In short, we've tried to make this a very acesible week of events."
"The ADDYS themselves will be different as well. They will be held at PLUSH. The ceremony will be a live presentation - and not some anti-climactic video announcing the winners. There will be other surprises, but you will have to attend to find out."
We're digging this and here's why: When the focus shifts from gathering awards and turns to community building and education, the value of said event increases exponentially. Even the fact that they decided to create a live presentation around the announcing of winners is definitely a more human touch and a chance for better feedback and entries to continue into the next year.
Granted, we still hate the old concept of awards shows. But if we're able to turn the previous years of bullshit backslappery into education and real, honest and humble recognition of talent, then by all means - let's do it.
And, of course, we have to address this because we wouldn't be the Egotist if we ignored it… but we, similarly, have no fucking idea what is going on with the website and event promotions. We don't care who did it, but if creative individuals, agencies, etc. are going to chip in time and effort to make an event worthwhile then good god, let's at least have a branding and graphics package that is on par with the vision for the event. AdClub in general has been needing to step up the design & creative talent for a few years now and this most recent entry does nothing to make anyone interested in the (potentially valuable) series of events getting unloaded on the scene this week.
That's all we're going to say about that.
RSVP on Facebook
Get tickets for the Awards Show.